culinary

Hello Straya: My Boyfriend Parents' Visit (Gado-Gado Homemade Recipe)

September 16, 2017


This was the first time my boyfriend's parents visit our house when I already there. I love them, but still when your boyfriend said I have to prepare lunch for four of us. I became confuse, what is the best food to be serve then??

So after a few ideas from my friends. Miss Labu (pumpkin) have an idea to make a gado-gado. Easy and fast. And luckily my boyfriend also agree with it. It doesn't mean any Indonesian recipe ideas that come from any other is not agreed. But knowing that my boyfriend is senior citizens, and they also not really enjoy too much spices, so I need something that save but still Indonesian.
Yup, gado gado will be the lunch menu when they come. Simple, easy to make, healthy, and delicious. These are ingredients that I used to make gado-gado.

The main ingredients of course the vegetables. I used some of the green vegetables and boil it for 30 seconds until 1 minute. Since westerner doesn't like faded and mushy vegetables, so the vegetables has to be fresh but cooked:
  • Chinese Cabbage
  • bean sprout
  • sneak bean
  • choi sum
  • boiled potatoes
  • boiled eggs
  • fried tempe or fried tofu, or you can use both
  •  The real gado gado actually not put chicken inside. But this is for protein variant, and it safe, because, who don't like chicken :) all you going to do just put it at the oven for 30 minutes.
  • If you want, you can add shrimp crackers or any crackers.

For the sauce, Indonesian called it peanut sauce. The real recipe used sambal or chili on it, but in this recipe I am not using any spicy things, because my boyfriend's parents can't stand something spicy.But if you want to try, you can add the sambal uleg thing or, blend the fire chili together with the peanuts.

Here are ingredients for making the peanut sauce (non-spicy)
  • 150gr granulated nuts, oven it until dark brown then blend it
  • 2 teaspoon of belachan
  • 2 pieces of garlics or 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
  • 2 pieces of shallots
  • 270ml coconut milk
  • 1 teasponn tamarine puree. Or 1/2 teaspoon of tamarind water
  • 2 teaspoon palm sugar or any sugar, you can choose any that fit your taste.
  • water from 1/2 piece of lime or 2 drops of lime juice
  • peanut oil
  • If you like spicy, you can add sambal bajak when stir the sauce, or add the fire chili when you blend the peanut.
  • 250ml of water
This is how you made the peanut sauce:

  • heated the peanut oil, then sit fry the onion and shallot
  • After the onion and shallot become soft put all the ingredients and let it boiled.
  • Boiled it until thick, then add salt and sugar to make the perfect taste for you.
mix the peanut sauce until it become like this.
When the peanut sauce is ready, plated the vegetables, tempe/tofu and chicken. Then pour the sauce, at the end, place the boiling egg and the crackers. Your gado-gado is ready to serve. And thankfully both of my boyfriend's parents like it. So, it is really save.
Have you try gado-gado too? If you have what's the difference between mine? LOL. Is there any Indonesian food that you have tried before? Beside gado-gado of course. Tell me your experience at the comment section :)

sharing is caring

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Hi, please write your comment here, but I will delete all the spams...